Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Random UPS Guy

For those who don't know, I currently work in IT Government Contracting. In an effort to expand my career and find more lucrative opportunities on the horizon, I decided to begin studying for the A+ Certification exam. As useless as it is starting to be, I refuse to leave anything I start unfinished. Anyways, on with the story.

Some random UPS guy delivers a package to my cubicle. Yes, I live in a cubicle. He drops off the package, notices the A+ textbook that I have sitting on my desk and asks, "Hey you studying for the A+ exam?" My first thought is to yell at him for staring at my stuff, but I hold back that urge because frankly, he's bigger than me. I respond with a simple yes and he begins to rattle off all the different computer certifications that he has. After he'd listed about five certifications I ask him him why he's not using that in his current profession. I seriously doubt UPS guys provide excellent technical customer service with a smile.

"Because, " he says, "I make 32 dollars an hour." He walked away, shoulders high, confidence bolstered and I sat in my cubicle and cried for a few minutes.

On the agenda for tomorrow: explore the career opportunities at UPS.com.

4 comments:

dmb5_libra said...

i totally came after reading that

B said...

It's about damn time you got a blog!

ps: I'm DMB's partner in crime.. but on the interwebs.. I am Deutlich. Cuz I'm anonymous and shit.

Or whatever.

B said...

also?

i'm a cheezball.

Maxie said...

I was A+ certified back in the day, but I never used it. I promise the test was really easy.

p.s. dmb's comment is ridiculous- haha